Note: This feature is currently only available in Europe, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. It is not available on Android devices. It is not available for iQ Vet.
The Simpson's Ejection Fraction tool allows you to estimate left ventricular Ejection Fractions (EF) when capturing cardiac studies from a view of the apical four chamber. Butterfly uses the Simpson’s Monoplane method to calculate the EF.
To use the automatic EF tool:
- Select the Cardiac preset.
- Select the Actions button on the bottom of your screen.
- Under tools, select Simpson's EF.
- The Record an Apical 4 Chamber screen is displayed with an Educational View Guide at the bottom of the screen. The guide uses on a scale from red to green, with green indicating a high quality image.
- Select Calculate. A 3-second clip is automatically recorded.
- If the automatic EF tool is able to calculate an Ejection Fraction, the Automatic Ejection Fraction result screen is displayed and the calculated Ejection Fraction is marked as an Auto-calculated Simpson's measurement. You have the option to either save this automatic result, edit the result and recalculate, or delete the result and cine.
- If the tool is not able to calculate an Ejection Fraction or you choose to edit your result, you will be directed to the Edit screen. There, you have the ability to adjust the End Diastole (ED).
- Scroll through the frames on the bottom of the screen to the appropriate frame for ED.
- To move the overall position of the contour used to measure the ventricular, press and drag the white anchor point. Release the anchor point when the contour is in the appropriate position.
- To alter the position of the contour sides used to measure the ventricular, press and drag the blue circle that indicate adjust points around the contour. Release the adjust point when the contour is in the appropriate position.
- To alter the position of the contour apex, press and drag the Apex Adjust Bar at the top of the contour. Release the Apex Adjust Bar when the contour is in the appropriate position.
- Once edits are complete, select Update ED.
- Follow the same process as above for End Systole (ES), and select Update ES when complete. The Ejection Fraction result screen is displayed and the calculated Ejection Fraction is marked as a manual Simpson’s Method measurement.
- If you select Save to save the measurement, the captured 3-second cine loop with the Ejection Fraction estimated and associated ED and ES left ventricle contours are saved to the Capture Reel. Note that selecting Delete deletes both the Ejection Fraction result and the 3-second cine used to calculate the result.